Avon is a city in Lorain County, Ohio, United States. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 20.87 square miles, of which 20.81 square miles is land and 0.06 square miles is covered by water.
In the 1600s, what is now Avon, Avon Lake, Bay Village, and Westlake were all once one territory. This territory was inhabited by Natives, such as the Wyandots, Ottawas, and Eries, who lived in wigwams or simple-stone dwellings. They settled, traded, fought, and later moved elsewhere. Township Number 7 in Range 16 of the Western Reserve received its first permanent American settlers during 1814 from Montgomery County, New York, led by Wilbur Cahoon. The township was administered by Dover township and was part of Cuyahoga County. In 1818, Township Number 7 was organized and named “Xeuma”, then later renamed “Troy Township”. In 1824, Lorain County was created, and the name of Troy Township was changed to Avon Township. An Avon post office was established in 1825. The entire township was incorporated into a village in 1917, and became the City of Avon in 1961.
As of the census of 2010, 21,193 people, 7,584 households, and 5,750 families resided in the city. The population density was 1,018.4 inhabitants per square mile. There were 8,007 housing units at an average density of 384.8 per square mile. The median income for a household in the city was $66,747, and for a family was $75,951. Males had a median income of $53,973 versus $31,660 for females. The per capita income for the city was $28,334.